It has been narrated that when Imam al-Sadiq (a) was asked whether Muslims have a feast day other than Eid-ul Fitr, Eid-ul Adha and Fridays, he answered, “Yes, they have. There is still the holiest feast day, which falls on the day when the Messenger of Allah (a) appointed Amir al-Mumineen -Imam Ali- (a) (as his successor and the coming leader of the Muslim community). On that day, the Holy Prophet (s) declared, ‘Whoever has regarded me as his master must now regard Ali as his master.”
When he was asked about the deeds that should be done on that day, Imam al- Sadiq (a) instructed, “(The best acts on this day are) observance of fasting, acts of worship, mention of the Household of the Holy Prophet, and invocation of blessings upon them. The Holy Messenger of Allah (s) instructed Imam Ali (a) to betake that day as feast. Similarly, the Prophets (a) used to instruct their successors to betake the eighteenth of Zil-Hijjah as feast day.”
Imam Ali Ibn Musa Ar-Reza (a.s.) said: "It is highly rewarding to be in Najaf Iraq today for performing the Ziarat of Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib (a). Give Alms today as much as you can, in the name of Allah, to the less fortunate, because, the "day of Ghadir" is particularly specified for helping deserving people."
We can give expression to our joy and happiness in a suitable manner keeping in view the life style, the tenets of Islam. It is highly desirable to make the believers (Momineen) happy. To do favors to relatives, to give gifts, and invite friends and relatives to eat meals together, forgive mistakes etc.
Recite salwaat "Allahuma salle alaa Mohammad wa Aale Mohammad " 'O Allah, send blessings on Muhammad and his household'.
Do Istighfaar (seeking forgiveness from the Almighty) as many times as possible.
(1) Have a Ghusl /bath, put on new or clean clothes and apply perfume
(2) Observe fast. (Fasting on the Day of Ghadir is equivalent to fasting the time span of the (existence of the) entire world-A hadith )
(3) Recite Ziarats of Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib (as) i) Special Ghadir Ziarat (ii) Ziarat Ameenallah & (iii) Ziarat Mut'laqah
(4) Recite Dua'a Nudbah
(5) Pray a 2 Raka't Salaat before/near noon time , as under:
In the first Rakat recite Sura Qadr after Sura Fatiha & in the second Rakat recite Sura Ikhlass after Sura Fatihah
- Go into Sajdah and say 100 times: 'SHUKRAN LILLAAH '
- Then sit and recite the dua'a "Allamumma inni asaloka be anna lakal hamda wahdaka
- Then go into Sajdah and recite : 'ALHAMDU LILLAH '100 times & 'SHUKRAN LILLAH' 100 times
A Hadith says 'One who does this a'mal today is entitled to receive the reward of a person who was present at Ghadir, had heard the declaration, and accepted it as true'.
(6) Another 2 Rakat Salaat- In every Raka't, after the recitation of Surah Al Fatiha, recite: (i) Soorah Al Ikhlaas 10 times.+ (ii) Aayat ul Kursee 10 times plus (iii) Soorah At Qadr 10 times.
(7) At the time of meeting with the brothers-in-faith say the following:
اَلْحَمْدُ للهِ الّذى جَعَلَنا مِنَ الْمُتَمَسِّكينَ بِوِلايَةِ اَميرِ الْمُؤْمِنينَ وَالاَئِمَّةِ عَلَيْهِمُ السَّلامُ
Praise be to Allah, who blessed us to be among -those who cling and hold to the "Wilayaat" (love, friendship and authority) of Ameer Al Momineen and all the Imams, peace be on them all.